January 4, 2010

Do I really need a role model?

Who is a role model? How do you define your role model? A few years ago, I used to say that Martin Luther King Jr is my role model. I felt so stupid to address him as my role model as I didn't even complete reading the most famous speech of his life at that time. I accept that he really impressed me but, he will never be my role model. If I am considering him as my role model, I may have to consider me as a man who is inspired by a lot of role models. Actually, I am inspired by a lot of people and I had a tendency to adopt their life to my life. I do not have such tendency as I realized that I need not have a role model to live my life.

I own a community named "Alexander The Great" in orkut. The reason is really funny, I got a DVD of the movie "The Alexander" along with the purchase of a DVD player.It was an inspiring one. So, if that company bundled a DVD about Adolf Hitler or Osama Bin Laden. I may start a community named with them also!! At my present condition, I really hate wars and I cannot find a reason to praise Alexander as he never hated war. In my view, I used to have a tendency to appreciate anyone who support me or those who have a tendency to accept that my views are right. So, views of some people who inspired me shaped my character. What if I am wrong? My role model is not going to correct me if I am wrong and I am not going to correct my role model even if he is wrong.

Once, one of my friend told me that "Gandhi tried to convince his views!". Even if I didn't make a comment about it, my inner mind was against it. In my views, Gandhiji was a great man and I cannot even think about him as a person who tried to implement something like this. What if he was a selfish man? What if the reason why I felt him so great was just ignorance? If someone convinces that Osama is a great man. I may have to accept it!! I feel the same thing when some fans of certain celebrities keeps on praising him even if the whole movie cannot even catch up the standards! I think we have to accept that we have a tendency! At least, I accept that I have a tendency...

These things made me think about the real intention of a role model! I was trying to be like my role model and I was just adding up their popularity. I accept that I am totally impressed by Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhiji, Salim kumar (Malayalam Comedy Actor) etc. But, I can never be a Martin Luther King or Gandhiji. They were unique and that is the reason why they are great. They just made history by bringing their views to the people as Gandhism, Marxism etc. Why can't I think about a "raghuism" in the future? If something like that happens, I admit that my followers will be greater than myself. To that condition I have my justification... I will be an illusionist as I will never reveal my negative part to the public. My followers will be inspired by my positive part and they will follow what my positive part is. So,they are simply great! Just keep one thing in your mind... "You need not have a role model to be yourself!"

"Faithfully"

Raghu.

9 comments:

  1. hopin that we are going to get yet another great personality.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this inspiring post! (Saw your comment on bc)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its perfectly true.... Its best to be what you are than adopting the lifestyles of others..... But i wouldn't say its wrong... In my case I think, certain things in some people might impress me and I might tend to adopt it.... But if a question was raised at me, asking who my role model is..... I might be at a loss for words.... Your outlook is good though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accept the idea that we need not have a role model. Good Post. Great Idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said.. Really liked your post.. Keep it up..

    ~ Sayed

    ReplyDelete
  6. @jiths

    how do you define greatness??

    @Pochacco Star

    I do not remember what my comment was!! I think bc stands for blogcatalog, isn't it??

    @Mystical Aquarian

    I am not going to be a Gandhi as I can never be an exact copy of Gandhi I can't think like any of the great personalities.But, I would like to be a great personality. If I am trying to copy them, I will loose my uniqueness..It is the reason why I am trying to be myself!!(Looks like this is some sort of illusion.)

    @ Joshi Mukard..

    Thanks...

    @ Sayed...

    K...thanks for the inspiration..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly... its always best to be what you are than trying to be a perfect replica of what you can never be.... The uniqueness might tend to turn out to be yet another great personality..... you can never know..... The important factor is to just believe in yourself.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some honest views are posted at your place. Good read. As regards role model, people generally prepare themselves to answer this question during interviews for top jobs. And they go on to lie, saying their role models are Akbar the Great, Ashoka the Great... etc. etc.

    Huh! I feel role models are those people who are always around you, with whom you have been associated, closely, like your mother, your father. Isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Neeraj

    It is a truth... I was planning to write a post named "a perfect interview"...

    ReplyDelete